Thursday, November 7, 2013

These are items easily accessible in any store near you. The visuals help the kids pick them out themselves.

Suggested content for the letter to include in the bags

This is the letter included in Abby's bags from Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Here is a special drawing Abby made. She includes one in every bag. 
Just wanted to share some items that may help Abby with her project. The pictures above are indicative of what to include in the bags. The real thrill is seeing the faces of the patients who receive the bags. It is unlikely that little kids will be allowed back in the treatment room, but the receptionists are usually welcoming and appreciative. 
It should be duly noted that Karsten Towery, her mom Britt; Richie, Sarah, and Tommy Hauser, and their mom, Traci;  Jenn Warren and her husband John Cesarek and many more friends and family participated in this act of giving in September.  
As previously mentioned, this was not a club I wanted to join. This was not a sisterhood or brotherhood I wanted to be in, but here I am. Over the years I have tried to teach my Drama students about "being where you are". If you are on stage, and it is 1924, and you are dancing the Charleston, then be where you are. This is a constant reminder to me that I need to be where I am. 
Today, I am two days out from treatment #4. I feel yucky. All I want to do is sleep. But I know this will pass and I will rally in the next couple of days. There are people who have it much worse than me: My friend Lane, who is completing chemo #20! Yes-20! Then he will be hospitalized for a bone marrow transplant. My friend, Joann, who had a metal rod inserted in her leg yesterday. Could it have been the cumulative effects of the chemo she had two years ago? Perhaps. Or my friend, Maureen, who tested positive for the BRCA gene, had several surgeries and 6 chemo treatments, and continues to be upbeat and positive.
Every day I am inspired and uplifted by cards that come in the mail, emails that appear in my inbox, posts on Facebook, a text message, a cuddle from my doggies. Every day I am grateful to have the love and support of so many people. It overwhelms me sometimes, especially when all I want to do is pull the covers over my head and cry. That's today. But, tomorrow, well tomorrow is another day to live and love and laugh. Bring it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment